Part 6 of our 9-part series on bearing lubricating procedures shows how to use a grease gun the right way.
Grease guns can be filled manually or can be used in conjunction with a grease cartridge. Grease cartridges can allow for simple, clean relubrication with little waste. Grease cartridges typically contain 400 grams (14 ounces) of grease.
- Pull out the grease gun piston until it is fully retracted. The automatic clamping device will lock into place.
- Unscrew the top portion of the grease gun.
- Remove the cap/foil cover from the grease cartridge.
- Remove (cut with knife) or remove plastic cap of the opposite end of the cartridge.
- Insert the cartridge into the grease gun.
- Screw the top portion of the grease gun back on.
- Depress the automatic clamping device and press the piston into the gun.
Push on the ventilation relief valve to allow for the escape of any entrapped air.
What bearing lubrication challenges do you face? Let us know in the comments below.